When you envision parenthood, do you think about little footsteps running around your house? How about crayon drawings hanging on your refrigerator door?
Adoption has helped make the dreams of parenthood come true for countless families in the United States.
But, how do you start? The adoption process has many steps, which may seem a little daunting at first. The following is a step-by-step description on how the process works:
- After months or years with infertility issues, determine if adoption is for you.
- Make sure you decide on an adoption plan – do you want a relationship with the birth parents or do you want to find a child through an agency?
- Choose an adoption professional, such as an experienced family law attorney, to guide you through the process.
- Complete an adoption home study, which proves you are ready to adopt a child and provide a safe environment for him or her.
- Complete an adoptive parent profile, which describes who you are, why you want to be a parent, the plans for your child, and photos of you and your family.
- Find a match – through an agency’s matching service or through your own adoption advertising.
- Participate in pre-placement contact – helps the adoptive couple and the prospective birth parents get to know each other before the birth of the baby to ensure their match is a good fit for both parties.
- Wherever the birth mother lives, travel to her for the big arrival.
- ICPC – Interstate compact on the placement of children requirements – you will need to remain in the state where the child was born until all clearances are finalized; this can last from a few days to a few weeks.
- Complete post-placement services – ensures the family and child are adjusting well to one another.
- Final hearing – a judge’s final review of the adoption, ensuring everything is complete.
Whether you are considering placing a child for adoption, or building your family through adoption, it is important to have an experienced Family Law attorney guide you through the complicated and complex process.
The Family Law offices of Holstrom, Block & Parke provides assistance, legal advice and representation to adoptive parents in a professional caring and supportive manner. Just remember – adoption is the best gift any person can give to a child in need of a permanent family. Get in contact with our firm today!
Visit us today in one of our offices located in Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange Counties.