Edward Castro, CFLS*
Edward Castro has devoted his entire legal career to the practice of family law in San Diego County and has joined Holstrom, Block & Parke, A Professional Law Corporation in 2021 as a Partner.
Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Castro initially focused his practice in the area of domestic violence prevention. Early in his career, Mr. Castro worked with the nonprofit San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program (SDVLP) to supervise their domestic violence restraining order clinic at the East County Courthouse of the San Diego County Superior Court.
Thereafter, again in association with SDVLP, Mr. Castro supervised and coordinated the Family Law Access Project (FLAP) at the San Diego County Family Court. In San Diego County, FLAP served as a courthouse-based family law and mediation clinic providing legal advice and assistance to unrepresented litigants. During his tenure at FLAP, Mr. Castro increased the program’s capacity to assist unrepresented litigants severalfold. FLAP was ultimately displaced by the Family Law Facilitator, a public program that provided the same services.
After leaving FLAP, Mr. Castro joined the YWCA Legal Advocacy Program as a senior staff attorney and their family law litigator. The YWCA Legal Advocacy Program’s core mission was the prevention of domestic violence through direct legal representation of victims in Family Court. During his six years at the YWCA, Mr. Castro represented clients in a diverse range of family law matters. Those matters included divorce and paternity actions, high conflict child custody disputes, disputed child and spousal support matters, division of complex marital estates, contested domestic violence restraining order applications, and appellate review of family court decisions. During his tenure at the YWCA, Mr. Castro developed substantial experience and expertise in trial practice given the challenge of finding common ground in cases touched by domestic violence.
In 2010, Mr. Castro joined the Law Offices of Beatrice L. Snider, A Professional Corporation (BLSAPC) where he served for 10 ½ years. BLSAPC’s clientele consisted largely of litigants having high net-worth estates. In 2014, Mr. Castro was elevated to partner. During his time at BLSAPC, Mr. Castro acquired substantial experience addressing issues uniquely routine to high net-worth cases. Those issues included business valuation disputes, complex income analyses of large business owners, tracing litigant claims through multiple transactions, asset protection trusts, and offshore interests. Mr. Castro also acquired particularized knowledge and experience regarding the retention and use of forensic experts in family court proceedings. Lastly, Mr. Castro acquired experience with numerous longer trials (5 days or longer) and continuing experience with appellate review of family court decisions (11 appeals/writs in 10 ½ years).
Mr. Castro was awarded his Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1993 and his Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in 1982. He is currently certified as a Specialist in the area of Family Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. His professional associations include the California State Bar, the San Diego County Bar Association, the San Diego Family Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, and the Foothills Bar Association.
*Certified Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Same Sex Family Law
- Child Custody
- Domestic Violence
- Rights of Unmarried Parents
- Father’s Rights
- Visitation Rights
- Parental Relocation (Move-away)
- Restraining Orders
- Post-Judgment Modifications
- Prenups & Marital Agreements
- Collaborative Law
- Contested Divorce
- Property Division
- Spousal Support & Alimony
- University of San Diego School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 1993
- Yale University
- Bachelor of Arts, 1982
- California, 1993
Honors & Awards
- 2022 Super Lawyers selection
- 2022 Peer Reviewed (Martindale)
- 2005 Certified Family Law Specialist
- 1997 Wiley W. Manual Award for legal work with victims of domestic violence
- 1996 Pro Bono Attorney of the Year
- 1996 Wiley W. Manual Award for legal work with victims of domestic violence
- 1995 Wiley W. Manual Award for legal work with victims of domestic violence
Professional Positions, Associations, and Memberships
- Served on Board of Directors of San Diego Domestic Violence Council from 1998 to 2001.
- Recognized as Pro Bono Attorney of the Year in 1996.
- Awarded the California State Bar Wiley W. Manuel Award (1995, 1996 and 1997) for legal work with victims of domestic violence.
- Served as Senior Staff Attorney and Family Law Litigator, San Diego YWCA Legal Advocacy Program for the prevention of domestic violence from 2001 to 2006.
- Served as Supervising Attorney, Family Law Access Project, Family Courthouse, San Diego Superior Court from 1997 to 2001.
- Served currently as Temporary Judge and Judge Pro Tem, San Diego Superior Court, family law and small claims from 2000 to present.
Experience the HBP Difference
We pledge to serve & protect your interests
We will work tirelessly to achieve your goals
We promise to make you important
We have over 300 years' experience combined
We have 10 Certified Family Law Specialists (CFLS) as certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization
Our attorneys are waiting to help you
Professional Legal Help
Telephonic Case Assessment
1897 California Ave., Ste. 102, Corona, CA 92881
4940 Campus Dr., Ste. A, Newport Beach, CA 92660
38975 Sky Canyon Dr., Ste. 101, Murrieta, CA 92563
3780 12th Street, Riverside, CA 92501
3110 Camino Del Rio S., Ste. 308, San Diego, CA 92108
380 S. Melrose Dr., Ste. 347, Vista, CA 92083