Grandparents can petition for visitation

Southern CA Grandparents’ Rights Lawyer

Understand Your Rights as a Grandparent

In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a decision on grandparents’ visitation rights in the Troxel v. Granville case. Before this case, a judge could grant visitation rights to anyone, even over the objection of the parents, so long as the visits were considered in the best interest of the child. This ruling has severely complicated the rights of grandparents when it comes to seeing their grandchildren. The effect of this decision is that many states now have statutes that only allow grandparents to petition for visitation when there has been a serious breakdown in the relationship with the natural parents. The Troxel decision clearly shows the intent of the court to give natural parents exclusive say as to visitation and custody of their children as long as they are alive and competent.

How Can I Pursue Visitation?

Fortunately, California is fairly permissive when it comes to giving court orders regarding visitation of grandchildren to grandparents. In deciding to grant visitation rights to anyone, a court will always place the interests of the child first.

For a court to order visitation, you must show that, in doing so, the child’s interests will be advanced.

Visitation rights are determined by a court based whether or not a pre-existing relationship has “engendered a bond.” The court is also directed to balance the interest of the child with the parents’ rights and authority to make decisions.

In particular, judges may grant visitation to grandparents when:

  • Parents have been mostly absent from the children’s lives
  • Grandparents played a significant role in raising and caring for the children
  • Parental incarceration or parental death has occurred
  • Grandparents’ involvement in the children’s lives can be shown to be in the children’s best interests

Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Family Attorney

At Holstrom, Block & Parke, APLC, our Southern California family law attorneys can provide you with clear information regarding your rights as a grandparent. Whatever the circumstances of your case, we can help you navigate your legal options through aggressive representation and legal advocacy.

Speak with an experienced attorney from our firm about this issue.
Call any of our Southern California office locations directly.

Contact Us

Get Professional Legal Help

Experience the HBP Difference

We pledge to serve & protect your interests

We will work tirelessly to achieve your goals

We promise to make you important

We have over 300 years' experience combined

We have 10 Certified Family Law Specialists (CFLS) as certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization

Our attorneys are waiting to help you

Professional Legal Help

Free Phone Consultation

(855) 747-6225

1897 California Ave., Suite 102, Corona, CA 92881

Newport Beach
4940 Campus Dr., Suite A, Newport Beach, CA 92660

Temecula Valley
38975 Sky Canyon Dr., Suite 101, Murrieta, CA 92563

Riverside Office
3780 12th Street, Riverside, CA 92501

San Diego
3110 Camino Del Rio S., Ste. 308, San Diego, CA 92108

Vista Office
380 S. Melrose Dr., Suite 347, Vista, CA 92083